A beautiful afternoon greeted the Woldsmen as they entertained Durham at Kelleythorpe, seeking their first win of the season after two draws from their opening two games.  After injuries last week, Driffield made changes with Watts, Pettinger and Mewburn returning to the squad, and Rix coming in for his debut on the wing.

It was a scrappy start as both sides were finding their way.  Durham had a big set of forwards and they showed their physicality from the kick-off, whilst Driffield looked dangerous when they played at pace.  Despite their size disadvantage, Driffield were holding their own in the scrum, taking one against the head to gain good field position.  A penalty gave Durham respite, but it turned out to be brief as Driffield attacked in waves with captain for the day Jenkinson bursting through a tackle to cross near the posts. Watts converted.

Driffield were soon back on the attack, with a neat inside pass giving Dinsdale the opportunity to break.  He made it into the 22, but as he was tackled went down with a nasty-looking ankle injury.  Short came onto the wing to replace him, and it wasn’t long before Driffield doubled their score.  Brigham picked up a pass on the bounce from a scrum near the club house and got the backs moving.  A nice pass put Murray into space and he crossed near the corner for an unconverted try.

Driffield had a lot of territory in the first half-hour, but Durham threatened to break out on several occasions with their number eight generally involved in their best passages of play.  More Driffield pressure brought a third try before half time, with Watts sniping down the blind side to cross in the corner.  He converted well from the touch line to leave the score 19-0 at half time.

Driffield started the 2nd half in a similar vein, with Johnson showing up strongly in the centre.  It was his break that gave the home side field position for Brankley to burst through for the bonus point try which Watts converted.

After Driffield had a try disallowed, Durham hit back with a try of their own with a well-worked catch and drive to go over in the corner.

Driffield claimed the last try of the game after a bullocking break from Pettinger gave Rix the space to cross in the corner.  Watts converted well from touch. Full time 33-5

There were lots of positives for Driffield to take from the game.  In the backs, Watts looked sharp at scrum half, with quick service giving the backs chance to play.  Rix was lively and Johnson showed up well after the disruption from Dinsdale’s early departure.  Up front, Jenkinson and Brankley were tireless and Sowersby’s defence ferocious, regularly knocking his man backwards.

A long trip to Consett awaits next weekend