The first home game of 2019 brought Morley to Kelleythorpe with the Woldsmen aiming to hit back after last week’s disappointment at bottom club Consett. Yet again the home side’s team sheet showed a number of changes. Brankley and Soanes formed a new-look centre partnership, with Furbank and Watts swapping places. Blenkinsop and Waterhouse propped the scrum, either side of Brumfield. Rob Mewburn led the side from one side alongside brother George.

It was Morley who shot out of the blocks, opening the scoring from a lineout. With a warning of what was to come, the ball was worked blind and sharp interplay between the winger and the full back had the visitors 7-0 up within two minutes. Driffield 0 – 7 Morley

Things went from bad to worse when Furbank and Soanes collided resulting in them both having to leave the field. This necessitated a reshuffle, with back row Turner heading to the wing and Rowbottom moving to the centre. Morris made a welcome return to first team action. It is to be hoped he can steer clear of the injuries which have dogged him as he will add depth to a stretched squad.  However, he departed to the sin bin shortly after making an entrance and pressure on the Driffield line cost the Woldsmen a man and another seven points. Driffield 0 – 14 Morley

Morley continued to press and found alarming amounts of space through the middle of the home side’s defence, with old boy Wood showing his pace. To their credit, the home side’s scramble defence was good and it was Driffield who scored next. A penalty in an attacking position was kicked to touch and a catch and drive cantered over to reduce the deficit.  Driffield 5 – 14 Morley

Morley hit straight back and effectively sealed the game with the next ten minutes. First a repeat of the first try with a long pass putting the winger in space, and the inside pass finding the hooker in support. Then a midfield break saw Morley into the Driffield twenty two again. Scramble defence again thwarted the visitors, but Driffield conceded a penalty. A quick tap caught Driffield napping and another try resulted. With all four converted the score was now Driffield 5 – 28 Morley.

Still Morley weren’t finished. A break through the middle of the field from an off-load found Wood in support. He made it to the Driffield twenty-two before Watts caught him from behind. With the Driffield defence breached it was only a matter of time before another try resulted, this time the conversion being missed. Half time Driffield 5 – 33 Morley.

With the game all but gone, Driffield gave a glimpse of what might have been. They claimed the first try of the second half with Brankley to the fore. His aggression ripped the ball from the opposition and he set off towards the Morley line. The ball went to ground and Watts picked up and found Murray who scooted into the corner. Watts converted.  Driffield 12 – 33 Morley.

Morley responded with a penalty, but Driffield were into their stride. With Sowersby bringing his runners into the game, and Mewburn and Morris to the fore, Zavatti claimed his first try of the afternoon touching down next to the posts for Watts to convert again. Driffield 19 – 33 Morley.

With home fans starting to hope, Morley showed why they were worthy winners on the day, stretching the home side with pace out wide. Only a last-ditch tackle from captain Mewburn stopped Morley adding to their score.

Driffield kept working to the end, with Watts challenging the line and Robinson getting half-chances to show his pace on the wing. Working their way into the Morley twenty-two, a penalty gave the home side a chance to claim a point from their afternoon’s exertions. A quick tap found Zavatti and he powered over from short range leaving the final score Driffield 24 – 36 Morley.