This much re-arranged fixture finally took place on Saturday, in what can only be described as atrocious conditions.  There had been rain overnight and through the morning and continuous rain throughout the game which left the pitch almost half-submerged.  Coach Cooper knew exactly the threat posed by Hull, and so it was played out. With some key players missing or rested, coach Cooper had a put together a competitive side : into the match-day squad came Murray, Watts, Borman, Syson, Cullen and James Dinsdale.  The bench was Sowersby, Beachell, Horner, Robson, Kelly, Ramsden and Dearing.

Hull, from Division 3 North (the league above the Woldsmen) soon showed some great forward control in the wet, and from a ruck on the left close to the Driffield line, moved the ball with pace and created the overlap for their first try. The conversion went narrowly wide.  Driffield 0 – 5 Hull

Driffield’s pack were fairing well at the scrums, with Brumfield, Blenkinsop and Syson holding a massive Hull front row and ensuring stability on their own put-in. Ex-Woldsman Harding was initially given some great ball from his pack, and showed his composure as he marshalled the game.  The Driffield back row started to gain parity, with George Mewburn having a storming game supported well by James Dinsdale and Cullen.  After 25 minutes, Hull got a well worked try when Harding kicked through for their winger to win the foot race and get the try.  Driffield 0 – 10 Hull

When Hull kept the ball close to their massive pack, things looked ominous.  Only some great work by Driffield’s midfield defence held things together.  Between Dench, Stephenson and Piercy there were some massive hits.  Under severe pressure James Dinsdale transgressed at a ruck, and was yellow-carded.  At the scrum 5, Hull drove for the line against the Driffield 7, and got the push-over try, which they converted.  Half Time  Driffield 0 – 17 Hull

Both sides were contriving to play very skilful rugby, with Hull just that bit more adept. Early in the second half, close to the Driffield line, their massive loose head prop barrelled his way over for a try.  This was converted and any chance of Driffield playing catch-up were lost.  Driffield 0 – 24 Hull

Dench then managed a great off-load to Beachell who made good ground. Hull, always looking strong in defence soon snuffed the movement out. Beachell then added a superb ‘smash’ tackle on the Hull scrum-half to turn the ball over, and prompt Hull to be wary of  carelessness.

As the second half wore on Hull started to exert more and more control.  Their scrum got a push-over try and on 70 minutes they put together a driving maul for a converted try.

Driffield 0 – 36 Hull

In the final minutes they added a further try to make the final score Driffield 0 – 41 Hull

So a deserved Yorkshire Cup win for Hull, and a sobering day at the office for Driffield.  Cooper, although disappointed with the result and scoreline identified positives; the way his pack hada held together in the tight, and only under duress had yielded at a couple of scrums. His back row had done great work in the loose.  There is some development work in the close control,but he was already working on that as the game finished.  Once again, plaudits to our referee Mr Hurdley who did a great job in awful conditions.