1st XV welcomed Alnwick in this top-of-the-table clash.  See the match programme here : https://online.fliphtml5.com/ezcpc/uesn/

Alnwick were straight out of the blocks when, after just three minutes, a chip through on the right side of the pitch bounced kindly infield, missing Driffield hands and pounced on by the marauding opposition.  Conversion missed.  Driffield 0 – 5 Alnwick

Alnwick continued to press but, when Driffield attacked their line on 12 minutes, lost a man to a high tackle that might, on another day, have been awarded as a penalty try.  From the penalty, Jenkinson worked the ball right, handing off to the supporting Ramsden who went round to close the angle for the kick.  But the attempt went wide to the right.   Driffield 5 – 5 Alnwick

A further ten minutes of play was mostly in Driffield’s half until Jenkinson got the ball on the half-way.  Jinking left and right and shrugging off tackles, he made his way to the right corner to score the try.  Again the conversion was missed.    Driffield 10 – 5 Alnwick

Fifteen minutes before half time, Alnwick were battering the Driffield line, and held up over it.  From the drop out they returned to the attack, scoring a converted try to take the lead.    Driffield 10 – 12 Alnwick

Alnwick’s tails were up, and they returned to Driffield territory. and they got another converted try with five minutes left in the half.    Driffield 10 – 19 Alnwick HALF TIME

A good team talk seemed to have an immediate effect at the start of the second half, and Driffield looked noticeably crisper.  The pressure paid after eight minutes when Jenkinson scored from 25 yards out.  Watts converted to close the gap.  Driffield 17 – 19 Alnwick

It was only three minutes later that Short went in for a try, converted by Watts.  This gave Driffield the lead and a try bonus point.  Driffield 24 – 19 Alnwick

It was Driffield’s turn to have their tails up, and returned to the attack straight from the kick-off.  Watts carried well, and off-loaded just short of the line, and Alnwick did well to avoid another score.

The next try came ten minutes later, well taken by Gleeson from a few yards out being shoved over the line by half the pack.  Watts again converted.    Driffield 31 – 19 Alnwick

The last quarter of the game saw Driffield withstand Alnwick’s attempts to snatch a point from the game, while trying to extend their own lead, but no further score came from either.

The result sees Driffield go second in the league, 17 points behind Billingham. 

Driffield will be delighted to get five points from a tough game, and showed how good they can be when they are under pressure.  Alnwick must be disappointed to have made such a long journey and left without a point, dropping them to fourth place.