Ilkley were straight into the action, putting the Driffield defence under pressure, and were awarded a penalty in front of the posts after just three minutes. Driffield 0 – 3 Ilkley

From the restart, Driffield were able to win the ball back and put Ilkley under pressure until, on 11 minutes, Gleeson emerged from the bottom of a pile-up to claim the try.  Murray’s conversion went wide.  Driffield 5 – 3 Ilkley

Just four minutes later, the returning Rix showed his power and pace and went through for a try, but Watts’ conversion went wide.  Driffield 10 – 3 Ilkley

Ilklley came back on the attack and were rewarded with a try on 20 minutes, but the conversion from their normally-reliable kicker was wide. Driffield 10 – 8 Ilkley

A further 11 minutes went by with no score from these evenly-matched sides.  At that point Ilkley were awarded another penalty, but the ball curled and bounced off the post leaving the score unchanged.

With ten minutes until half-time, Watts claimed a penalty to give Driffield an extended, but not comfortable, lead. Driffield 13 – 8 Ilkley

But Ilkley came back at Driffield, and a 10 metre rolling maul to the left of the pitch saw them go in for the try, this time converted.  Driffield 13 – 15 Ilkley


Following the restart, on 48 minutes, Dinsdale scored a magical jinking try to give Driffield the lead back, but no conversion.  Driffield 18 – 15 Ilkley

Just two minutes later, Watts converted a penalty to extend the lead.  Driffield 21 – 15 Ilkley

But Ilkley were not down yet and came back at Driffield, earning a penalty on 55 minutes to narrow the gap.  Driffield 21 – 18 Ilkley

Thirteen minutes went by without score until Murray found a way through the centres to score the bonus-point try, but the conversion was again missed.  Driffield 26 – 18 Ilkley

From the restart Driffield returned to attack, and McKinnon was held up over the line.

Play see-sawed for the next 11 minutes with both sides looking for any opportunities until Driffield’s pressure proved too much for Ilkley, who started to look second-best with less than ten minutes to go

First, Short went in for a try, converted by Watts.  Driffield 33 – 18 Ilkley

Just two minutes later, Dinsdale went through for his second, Watts’ conversion missing off the post.  Driffield 38 – 18 Ilkley

And with seconds to go, Gleeson burst a full 40 yards up the middle, handing off to Jenkinson who ran in the remaining 15 yards for the final try, converted by Watts.  Driffield 45 – 18 Ilkley

This was a much-improved show of discipline by Driffield with significantly fewer penalties given away, a strong performance in the tight by the forwards, and the backs keeping the pressure on.

Ilkley will be disappointed that they went away with nothing from the game as, for much of it, they looked capable of winning it.