Driffield took the long journey up to Amethyst Park, looking to continue their winning streak against a Consett side who have yet to win a game.  That said, Consett have now played the top four teams in the league while three of Driffield’s four games have been against lower sides.  However, this did not mean that Driffield should take a win as a given, as they have lost up there against them in the past.

Joe Robinson returned this week and started at scrum half, with James Watts moving to full back with Ryan Murray not available.  Rix started at outside centre following Ben Dinsdale’s Injury, alongside Johnson.  Short started on the wing along with Kelly, and Brigham stayed at 10.  In the forwards, the only change from the previous week was skipper Rob Mewburn starting at seven, with Brankley moving to bench.

The first half was well contested, and the half-time score of 3-17 to Driffield was not a reflection of Consett’s efforts.  Driffield had the better of the position – the difference was that they took their chances well while Consett met was consistently good defence.

Driffield’s first try came courtesy of Short, who ripped down the right wing to score, with the conversion by Watts.

The second try was almost a mirror image by Robinson, this time down the left wing where he sold a dummy and galloped for the line, again converted by Watts.

Watts then successfully converted a penalty, with Consett getting one back to make it 3-17 when the half-time whistle went.

In the second half, Driffield’s fitness started to show, the chances came more often and took their chances well.  Nevertheless, Consett had not given up and kept contesting, with great effort and commitment and solid tackles right to the end of the game.  However, as they became tired, they started to give away penalties in the last 20 minutes, ceding field position.

In spite of a yellow card for Short for not rolling away, Driffield’s points tally continued to mount, with six tries coming in the second half and Watts with a great kicking game, getting a total of six conversions and a penalty.

Johnson took an excellent interception on the Consett 10-metre line and bullocked his way through the defence to touch down near the posts.

Short scored an excellent second try in the corner when he was the first to dive on a ball that had been hacked through.

Robinson’s second try came from a scrum, when he took the ball himself and, selling a dummy, created enough space to weave through for the try

Robbie Rix continues to impress, and was rightly rewarded with his own try.  In addition, it is great to see Will Brigham back playing rugby and scoring points, getting his own try.

The final try of the game came in the last minute of the game, when Pettinger took the crash ball from a penalty in the corner on the five-yard line.  This topped off an excellent game for him, playing the full 80 minutes including a stint at hooked when Ramsden left the field injured.

The result lifts Driffield to third position in the table, on the same points as Cleckheaton and a point clear of Moortown.