Driffield welcomed Percy Park to Kelleythorpe on Saturday – Park arrived sitting in 7th place in North One East, having only won once on their travels this season.  But that was two weeks ago when they beat York, so Driffield could expect a tough afternoon.

Despite the recent rain, the pitch was in perfect condition although a shower just before kick-off, followed by another longer shower mid-way through the game, left a slippery surface.

Percy Park took the lead in the 2nd minute after Driffield were penalised : Driffield 0 – 3 Percy Park

Park were showing they meant business and were taking the game to Driffield.  Good defence from Driffield and especially Ben Dinsdale, making his return, kept the visitors out.

On 12 minutes, Driffield tried to run the ball from their own 22, and a couple of strong runs from Brankley moved them up the pitch a little.  However, Driffield conceded another penalty at a ruck, which Park kicked : Driffield 0 – 6 Percy Park

Until that point the play had been mostly in Driffield’s half but, from the restart, Park kicked to clear the ball.  This was deflected off another Park player and caught in an offside position.  Driffield kicked the resulting penalty to the corner.  Brumfield hit his target well in the lineout, and the Driffield forwards got a good rolling maul moving towards the Park try line.  Watts, playing at scrum-half, saw a gap and went through for the 1st try of the afternoon, but missed the conversion from out wide.  Driffield 5 – 6 Percy Park.

The game turned into a battle for territory, with both teams kicking and trying to turn their opponents over.  The slippery conditions made keeping hold of the ball a challenge for most players.

Driffield managed to get the next score when Park conceded a penalty in front of their posts just before half-time and Watts took the points. Driffield 8 – 6 Percy Park

Driffield extended their lead in the second half when, after getting a good attacking platform, Park’s No. 8 was penalised for offside.  Watts converted the kick. Driffield 11 – 6 Percy Park

Three minutes later Watts extended the lead following another Park penalty.  Driffield 14 – 6 Percy Park

Driffield made a couple of changes on 55 minutes when Morris and Walgate replaced Cullen and Turner. It was obvious the next score would important, and Driffield pushed on to make sure it was them who got it.  Robinson should have extended the lead on the 58th minute : he was through and thought he had scored but the referee had noticed he dropped the ball when grounding it.  Park cleared up field.

Ben Blacker made a good break into the Park 22.  In the ensuing ruck, a Percy Park player was caught offside handing Driffield another penalty, and a 10 minute break for the player as the referee had lost patience with the constant penalties from Percy Park.

Ben Dinsdale nearly got a score when Watts made ground before giving Dinsdale the chance to go for the corner.  Unfortunately for Driffield the Park defence just managed to get to him before he got the ball down.  Driffield regained possession at the resulting scrum and , after a couple attacking rucks, Longville played a lovely chip over the Park defence.  A foot-race between Longville and Robinson for the try was won by Longville and Watts converted. Driffield 21 – 6 Percy Park

In the last play of the game, Driffield managed to Robinson in free space.  He sprinted in from the half-way to score out wide and Watts missed the extras.

Full Time : Driffield 26 – 6 Percy Park