Driffield welcomed Malton to Kelleythorpe for yet another local derby and a chance to banish the disappointment from the previous week’s performance against Pocklington. The side showed changes due to absence and suspension with Sowersby in at flanker for the unavailable Cullen. Watts moved up to scrum half to replace the suspended Robinson, allowing newly-arrived Longville to make his debut at full back. Nellen captained the side for the first time in his last game before heading away to sea.

Playing with the wind, it was Malton who made the best start, puncturing the home side’s defence with a pick-and-go through the middle, before winning a penalty and kicking to touch. Malton won the lineout and mauled the ball over the line, well-converted from the touchline. Driffield 0 – 7 Malton & Norton

Longville was settling in nicely, kicking intelligently and giving the Woldsmen field position. From a lineout in their twenty-two, Malton cleared their lines, but the ball was well kept in by Driffield. They moved the ball across the pitch to give Blacker space and he showed good pace to make the corner. Watts began an excellent afternoon with the boot by converting from touch to level the score at Driffield 7 – 7 Malton & Norton

Driffield were showing good continuity, with Robson carrying prominently, but too often poor discipline brought play to a halt. Driffield did claim the next score when harrying defence forced an error on the half-way line. Girking swooped on the ball and fed Dinsdale. He weaved his way deep into the Malton half and drew the full back to give Longville a run in under the posts. Watts converted to take the score to Driffield 14 – 7 Malton & Norton

They added to this score shortly afterwards with a classy try.  A penalty took play into the Malton 22. Driffield won the lineout and Furbank found Longville with a wide pass. He darted inside the defence and claimed his second try under the posts. Watts again converted to extend the lead to 14 points. Driffield 21 – 7 Malton & Norton

Malton fought back to narrow the gap before half time. A solid scrum deep in Driffield territory gave the number eight the chance to walk under the posts unopposed. This was converted to leave the half time score Driffield 21 – 14 Malton & Norton

It was Driffield’s turn to start the half strongly with James Dinsdale running a great line to score after Blacker had been worked into space down the touchline. Watts again converted. Driffield 28 – 14 Malton & Norton

Brankley saw yellow and Malton took full advantage to score two unconverted tries in quick succession, first catching the Woldsmen short on the blindside, and then a strong run through scattering defenders, bringing the score to Driffield 28 – 24 Malton & Norton

Driffield needed to reassert themselves and a big hit from Dench turned the ball over allowing Longville to gain some territory. Malton played from deep, but Driffield ripped the ball and Longville found Ben Dinsdale and he extended Driffield’s lead. Watts converted this and added a penalty to make the score Driffield 38 – 24 Malton & Norton.

Malton hit back with an outstanding try. From a Driffield penalty that missed touch, they ran the ball from their own 22 and after several off-loads out of the tackle crossed under Driffield’s posts to make it Driffield 38 – 31 Malton & Norton

With just a score between the teams, Malton tried to repeat the trick and score from deep again. This time, the off-load was picked off by Watts and he ran into the corner to seal the victory. It was left to Longville to convert from touch and cap and excellent afternoons work for the Woldsmen. Driffield 45 – 31 Malton & Norton