A beautiful spring Saturday greeted the visiting YMCA players and supporters as they arrived at Kelleythorpe on Saturday, this didn’t change through out the afternoon, with very little wind, the Driffield supporters were looking forward to an entertaining game.

Driffield, making 2 changes from last weeks win at Cleckheaton, Stephenson & Warcup unavailable so B Dinsdale starts in the centre with Robinson back on the wing, Oli Cooper returning for Warcup in the 2nd row. On the bench Ryan Murray & Rowbottom joined Borman.

YMCA kicked off playing towards the 3G. The game was tight for the 1st 9 minutes with the majority of play going with YMCA. However Driffield opened the scoring on 9 minutes, when they attacked from half way. Brankley, as was to be repeated a few times through out the game, found some space and made a great break, before off loading to Soanes who crossed under the posts, Watts converting. D 7 – 0 YMCA

Again the game became tight, both teams looking to wear their opposition down. It wasn’t until the 21st minute that we got our next score.

Great work from the Driffield pack led to an overlap in the backs, the ball was worked through the backs until it reached Joe Robinson on the wing, he still had a lot to do, with 2 defenders looking to wrap him up, his pace saw him beat the 1st before side stepping the last man to cross in the corner. Watts missed the conversion. D12 – 0 YMCA.

Driffield now had a decent lead, and looked to press on. On 26 minutes Driffield scored the try of the game, from 1st phase ball inside their own half, the backs worked a move, with slick handling, ending with Jackson crossing under the posts, Watts converting. D19 – 0 YMCA.

Driffield had now started to look strong, and had been worth their 19 – 0 lead. But YMCA had other ideas. On 35 minutes, they got a score back. following sustained pressure, their 12 managed to get break through a couple of defenders to cross under the posts. their 10 adding the conversion. HT Driffield 19 – 7 Huddersfield YMCA.

That try just before half time left the Kelleythorpe fans wondering what the 2nd half would be like, I suspect a few might of been a bit worried that YMCA might get back into the game.

Driffield removed those doubts straight from the KO. Watts with the KO, YMCA did not collect it and Brankley managed to gather the ball and run through to score, watts missed the conversion. D26 – 7 YMCA

This score gave Driffield the Try bonus point as well.

Just like the 1st half the game became very tight, YMCA kept trying and trying but couldn’t get through the Driffield defence. A run of penalties ended with R Mewburn being given a 10 min rest.

YMCA used this time to score a couple of try’s, This left a tense final 5 minutes, with YMCA now only a score behind. However, Driffield continued their excellent defence and held out to for the win. F/T D26 – 21 YMCA

Although it ended in a close score, Driffield never looked like they would lose the game. The result means Driffield move up to 6th in the league and are now safe from relegation and will enjoy next season on this entertaining league.

Next up a trip to League leaders Morpeth on Saturday.