Saturday saw yet another local derby with Malton the visitors to Kelleythorpe this week. Driffield’s side yet again featured a number of changes, but a number of returning players brought the side closer to full strength.

Driffield had a strong wind at their backs and kicked off, but saw the kick go dead giving Malton immediate field position. Malton’s number eight picked up and burst through the home side’s defence before being stopped by the cover defence, picking up an injury in the process which saw him leave the field. Driffield’s scrum was solid in the early exchanges and their defence put pressure on Malton’s half-backs, winning a turnover which enabled Turner to make 30 yards and win a penalty which Watts converted.  Driffield 3 – 0 Malton

After Driffield took the kick off, Watts used the wind to take play back to the Malton twenty two, and a Malton error gave Driffield a scrum. Brankley carried off the back into midfield, and recycled ball gave Watts the chance to push a flat pass into space for Jackson to hit the line. He was tackled short of the line but his offload found Soanes for Driffield’s first try of the afternoon. Watts converted from the touchline.  Driffield 10 – 0 Malton

Driffield set about repeating the feat from the next kick off. After Jackson had threatened the defence, Watts found a gap and glided through. Malton conceded a penalty which Robinson took quickly, but he was held up over the line. From the scrum, Brankley again drove into midfield. Cooper and Dervey carried the move on, before the ball was moved wide to Stephenson who scored out wide. Watts again converted to take the score to Driffield 17 – 0 Malton.

Driffield added a third when they worked back to the blind side and Stephenson drew the last man before finding Robinson who scored in the corner. Watts drew the conversion in off the post to extend the lead to Driffield 24 – 0 Malton

There was still time for Malton to pressure the Driffield line after a penalty kick to touch gave them field position. Several times they battered at the home sides line, but Driffield’s defence held firm, winning a turnover, and taking them to the half time break.

The first thirty minutes of the second half were scoreless as both sides searched for the killer touch. Malton had long periods of pressure without managing to break the Driffield line, and Driffield’s accuracy was lacking on the occasions they managed to find a gap.

With the league so tight, Driffield knew every point might count, and they eventually found the bonus point try. Zavatti carried the ball to the line, and found James Dinsdale with a deft offload. He charged through a gap and bounced his way through the covering defence before being brought to ground. Cynical play lead to a Malton yellow card and Watts kicked the resulting penalty to the corner. Malton pinched the lineout and cleared their lines leading to a Driffield scrum in midfield. Driffield moved the ball wide to Dinsdale who scooted down the wing, before a stray boot hacked the ball clear. Watts picked up and made yards before being tackled. Robinson darted from the ruck and offloaded to Brumfield, who drew the last man and found Stephenson who touched down under the posts. Watts again converted.  Driffield 31 – 0 Malton

With the bonus point secured, Driffield still had time to add a further try. A Jackson break down the line lead to a chip through. Malton gathered and tried to run from deep, before harrying defence forced a scrum for Driffield on Malton’s five yard line. Brankley controlled the ball well at the back as Driffield marched over the line for a push over try. Watts completed a flawless afternoon with the boot to leave the final score Driffield 38 – 0 Malton.