Following last night’s AGM, I thought it would be a good time to give you all a run-down of our plans for the next season. Let’s start at the top:
Tony Rowbottom has succeeded Mark Goodson as President for the coming season. Tony has been a life-long member of Driffield RUFC, apparently making a couple of 1st team appearances back in the day. He was the Mini/Junior Chairman for 5 years through the early 2000s. I am sure Tony will enjoy his year as Mr Pres, and wish him all the best.
Below: Mark Goodson hands over the presidency to Tony Rowbottom.
Richard Dee takes the role of Senior Vice President : what a couple of years we’ll have with these two in charge…
1st XV will once again be playing in North One East. Again, on paper, the league looks very strong. Morley and Pocklington come down from the league above, whilst York, Consett and Scarborough all join after promotion. The league has only 3 teams outside of Yorkshire, with 5 so-called “derby’s” against Bridlington, Malton, Scarborough, York and Pocklington. The lads start their season with 3 warm-up games : on 11 August we host Lymm, 18 August we host Westoe and 15 August we travel to Middlesbrough. The league starts on Saturday, 1 September when we welcome York.
- Rob Mewburn continues as 1st team captain, Rob had a great season as skipper last season both on and off the pitch. I’m sure he will be looking forward to this one
- Sam Parker will be 2nd team captain.
- Rob Norman stays on for the 3rd team
- Pat Kneeshaw and Edward Megginson will be running the 4th team
Coaches : A few changes in the coaching set up have taken place over the summer:
- Patrick ‘Bash’ Burdass has become Chairman of Rugby, overseeing all rugby in the club with a keen eye on the teams below the 1st team in the hope we can push players upwards from within.
- Stuart Cooper has become Director of Rugby, with his eye on the 1st team squad and activities around that.
- Kyle Dench becomes Head Coach, following the last two seasons assisting with the coaching. This season Kyle with take charge of the 1st team squad – he is hoping to still get on the pitch, so you could class this as head player-coach.
- Rich Mitchell-Williams is the last of the official coaching staff. Mitch carries on his good work as forwards coach.
- Ali Mac and Oliver Borman take on a second team coaching role. Both these are guys are still looking forward to playing, but are also looking forward to helping the second team have a strong season.
- Jeremy Harrison takes the role of 3rd team coach, Jez will be hoping to help some of the 3rd team players push onto the 2nds, and his experience will be a great help. Rob Norman continues as 3rd team captain.
The season will see a Colts side for the first time in a few years. This team will be made up of players from 16/17/18 ages and will be run by Dom Thompson and Jez Harrison.
The Ladies Team still go from strength to strength. Following their unbeaten second half of the season, they have entered a league for this season. They will play against York, West Leeds 2nds, Ionians, Scarborough and Morpeth to name a few.
Hopefully with all the local derbies we will be able to arrange some curtain-raisers for either the colts or ladies.
- Will Burns has stepped up a couple of levels and joined Otley RUFC for this season, we wish Will all the best.
- Ryan Murray and Adam Brankley are both back in the area and signed up for the Woldsmen.
Overall, a good off-season, and with a blink-of-an-eye it will be 11th August and the 2018/19 season will have started.
Thanks to everyone and good luck.