A much-changed Driffield side welcomed Dinnington to Kelleythorpe on Saturday. The Woldsmen were keen to get back to winning ways after three losses on the bounce, and they faced an opposition struggling at the bottom of the table after the departure of some key players during the off season.

Playing into the wind, Driffield made a slow start, not dealing with the kick off and conceding possession and then territory after a smart kick from the visitor’s fly half. Driffield won the lineout and looked to play from deep, before box-kicking for position. This was half charged-down and the ball broke to Piercy who hacked it forward. Dinsdale showed patience to gather the ball and off-load for the try, which was converted by Murray.

Driffield continued to try and play from deep, with new prop Zavatti showing up well. Dinnington won a penalty, but a tough chance was pulled wide of the post. Furbank had moved to fly-half this week, and he was getting the back line moving well, taking the ball at pace and challenging the opposition. His long pass put Stephenson into space and he showed good gas to make a half break. Driffield recycled well and moved the ball to Mewburn who powered over for an unconverted try.

Dinnington pulled three points back with a penalty, before Piercy broke through the middle and linked with Furbank who put Stephenson in the corner to make the score 17-3.

It felt like the Woldsmen were getting into their stride and playing with the pace that had brought them success over the past few seasons. They wrapped the bonus point up before half time when Furbank took the ball to the line and off-loaded out of the tackle to Murray who went wide to Stephenson to notch his second.

It looked like Driffield would add to their tally when Zavatti charged through the middle, but Driffield conceded a penalty and the chance was gone. On half time, Murray had a chance to add three points, but pulled his kick wide. 22-3 Driffield at half time.

Eager to pull points back, Dinnington started the second half well, moving the ball about and stretching the home defence. James Dinsdale won the Woldsmen a penalty with a good tackle off the back of a scrum, and Murray was able to convert this.

Driffield had a couple of chances to extend their lead when first Piercy made a break and passed outside to Stephenson in heavy traffic and he knocked on, and then Lawrence glided through the defence before offloading to Zavatti who was held up by the foot of the posts.

Neat interplay between Piercy and Dinsdale put Robinson in for a converted try, before Driffield added the best try of the afternoon. First Dearing, on at full back, made a break and found Dinsdale speeding up the wing. He was tackled and Driffield recycled before the ball was turned over and cleared. Lawrence scooped it up and made yards up the middle. James Dinsdale hit a great angle and offloaded to the ever-present Ramsden who deservedly touched down in the corner. This capped an excellent display from the hooker making his first start. His line-out throwing was faultless and he always seems to be in support of the ball-carrier. Dearing converted from the touch line to extend the score to 37-3.

The game was becoming scrappy as the final whistle approached, but Dinsdale added another try skinning two defenders and touching down in the corner. Final score 42-3.

It wasn’t just the win that will please the coaches, but the manner in which it was achieved. Driffield looked dangerous every time they put pace on the ball and moved the opposition around. The newcomers to the team all had fine games and will give the selection panel some headaches when Driffield return to leave action on the 21st, after a trip to high-flying Huddersfield next week in the Yorkshire Cup.